If you’re developing or maintaining a website, it’s imperative you maintain a degree of efficiency on your page. This is especially for those running online retail stores or just providing services online. How fast your page runs will determine the number of users you retain and the effectiveness of your advertisements.
The internet user experience is determined largely by the speed with which a webpage loads. In today’s day and age, the average internet user will be more likely to stay logged on to pages that provide concise, accurate information and do not take much time to load.
A study exploring the relationship between page loading times and user retention gave the following results:
- 47% of all users expect websites to load in 2 seconds or less.
- 40% abandon a website if it takes more than 3 seconds to load.
- 79% of all shoppers who are dissatisfied with webpage load times would not use the website again.
Keeping these facts in mind, it is quite clear that websites need to develop strategies such that they can keep their users satisfied and engaged. One of the ways to do that is to improve web page speeds. The more users you retain the more likely it is that your website generates traffic that can prove profitable in the future.
A recent study comparing the effects of variation in page loading times for 12 major online spelt out the financial impact of having faster web pages:
- If your website makes $100,000 a month, an improvement in page load times by a second generates $7000 daily.
- Traffic may be increased by 9% if page load times are reduced by 0.4 seconds.
- A page slowdown of 1 second could cost Amazon $1.6 million a year in sales.
- Speeding up a web site could lead to a 20% increase in organic traffic.
So you see, it is really important that you create speedy web pages that are capable of retaining and perhaps improving traffic rates. Once this is achieved, it is bound to translate into a greater volume of business and a larger consumer base.
Some ingenious ways to create faster websites include:
- Creating one-page websites that do not involve much redirecting and present all the information a user needs in a compact form.
- Minimize image sizes and compress files; the inclusion of large images or large files takes longer for the webpage to render.
- Choose reliable hosting services that are capable of delivering a smooth web surfing experience with lower server response times.
- Enable browser caching; this allows some parts of the website to download the user’s hard drive. This significantly reduces load times.
In order to retain a customer base, you could try out many strategies that would create a satisfactory customer experience. The more satisfied the person coming to your website, the more likely it is that you will develop a high conversion rate owing to faster web page loading times and their satisfaction.
BlimpVentures is a web development service in Houston. With their expertise on matters relating to web site design, functionality and most importantly speed; they have developed a reputation as one of the most reliable and affordable web solutions provider in Houston.